Fashola to commission 80MVA Yauri substation abandoned for 11 years
Babatunde Raji Fashola, minister of power, works and housing, will be commissioning the 80MVA Yauri transmission substation in Kebbi state this week.
The substation was abandoned by contractors after it was started in December 20.
The Transmission Company of Nigeria took over the project on the May 2018 and completed it After 11 years of abandonment, the 80MVA Yauri transmission substation in Kebbi state will be commissioned this week by the minister of power, works and housing, Babatunde Raji Fashola.
Daily Trust reports that the transmission substation, which was abandoned by contractors after it was started in December 2007, was completed by the in-house engineers of the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN).
Legit.ng gathers that the Yauri transmission substation has two units of 40MVA transformers.
According to TCN, the substation project, installations were only about 50 percent level after the contractor failed to complete it since December 2007.
It was, however, completed within three months by TCN in-house engineers.
The general manager, public affairs of TCN, Ndidi Mbah, said:
“The new Yauri 2x40MVA 330/33kV Transmission Substation was first awarded in December, 2007 but the contractor failed persistently to complete the contract for 11 years. Consequently, TCN took over the project on the May 2018 and completed it.”
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported the minister of power, works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, said the ministry could not get the names of people who were alleged to have looted funds meant for the power sector.
This was made known in a statement by Kolawole Oluwadare, the deputy director of the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP).
Oluwadare said the minister could not get the names of contractors who were accused to have stolen funds in the ministry.
The quote Fashola: “We have searched the ministry’s record and the information you applied for is not held by the Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing (Power Sector).”
Fashola’s comment came as a response to the SERAP’s request that asked the minster to publish the names of fraudulent contractors between the years of 1999 to 2018.
1,016 total views, 3 views today